With the closure of these air stations and 16 AAP during 1918-20, there was a brief period of activity occasioned by civil unrest associated with the formation of Northern Ireland, followed by a short lull before military flying locally was resumed in 1925 and came to be concentrated at Aldergrove (see Coastal Command NI WW2, 502 (Ulster) Sqn RAuxAF and Met Flights) under the auspices of the RAF which had been formed in 1918. In the mid-thirties, as visionary planners struggled to prepare the RAF for war, its structure began to be reorganised, an indirect manifestation of which was the establishment of Temporary Armament Training Camp, Aldergrove in 1936. During the period up to July 1940, this organization was redesignated, successively, 2 Armament Training Camp, 2 Armament Training Station, 3 Air Observers School and 3 Bombing & Gunnery School. In November 1941, 15 Group Armament Practice Camp was formed but was quickly redesignated 1 Armament Training Camp and remained so until September 1945. As a result of the collective effort of all these units, Lough Neagh by the end of the Second World War had become the first bombing range in the UK where RAF, RN and USAAF aircrew were able to carry out low-level bombing at night, using radar homing and Leigh Light techniques and receive an accurate assessment of their errors.